- A report on strategies to improve the enrollment of eligible Medicare beneficiaries in Medicare Savings Programs. The Commonwealth Fund.
- A second series of 12 Data Profiles and 8 Issue Briefs to inform policy makers about the implications of chronic and disabling conditions. The Robert Wood Johnson Foundation.
- The Role of the Asset Test in Targeting Benefits for Medicare Savings Programs, Robert Friedland and Laura Summer (October 2002). (The Commonwealth Fund)
- Medicare Beneficiaries and Their Assets: Implications for Low-Income Programs (PDF), Marilyn Moon (The Urban Institute), Robert Friedland and Lee Shirey. June 2002. (The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation)
- Asthma Care for Children: Financing Issues: A CHSC Chartbook (PDF), October 2001. (Center for Health Care Strategies, Inc.)
- Increasing Enrollment for the Medicare Savings Program (PDF), Laura Summer, August 2001. (Center for Medicare Education)
- Successful Outreach Strategies: Ten Programs That Link Children to Health Services (PDF), Laura Summer, January 1999. (National Center for Education in Maternal and Child Health Clearinghouse)*
- Managed Care: Making it Work for Older People, GSA Conference Proceedings, October 1998. (The Gerontological Society of America)*
- State-Subsidized Health Insurance Programs for Low-Income Residents: Program Structure, Administration, and Costs (HTML), Laura Summer, April 1998. (The Commonwealth Fund)*
- An assessment of the health care use and health care costs of low levels of functional literacy. Pfizer, Inc.
- Health Literacy: Responding to the Need for Help (PDF), Kristen M. Kiefer, February 2001. (Center for Medicare Education)*
- Considering Health Literacy (PDF), Kristen M. Kiefer, September 2000. (Center for Medicare Education)*
- Low Health Literacy Skills Increase Annual Health Care Expenditures By $73 Billion (HTML), January 1999. (Pfizer Inc.)*
- A book on the financing and delivery of long-term care services, The Long-Term Care Challenge. The Century Foundation.
- A series of Data Profiles on informal caregivers. The AARP Andrus Foundation.
- A survey of state Medicaid offices on the use of waiting lists for home and community based services for the elderly and disabled. AARP.
- Participation in Georgetown University's Long-Term Care Project, which is designed to elevate policy discussions of long-term care and create a network of researchers engaged in systemic analysis of problems and solutions, particularly related to financing. The Robert Wood Johnson Foundation.
- Choosing and Long-Term Care Policy: Understanding and Improving the Process (PDF), Robert Friedland and Laura Summer, October 2004. (The Pew Charitable Trusts).
- Issue Brief: Creating Assisted Living Facilities: Expanding Options for Long-Term Care (PDF), Laura Summer, March 2001. (National Governors Association)*
- Defining Common Ground: Long Term Care Financing Reform in 2001 (HTML) , Robert Friedland and Lee Shirey with Citizens for Long Term Care, February 2001 (Citizens for Long Term Care).*
- Long-Term Care: Facing the Challenges of the 21st Century--Summary of CRS Seminars, Robert Friedland, February 2001. (CRS Report for Congress)*
- Medicaid Financial Eligibility for Older People: State Variations in Access to Home and Community-Based Waiver and Nursing Home Services, Enid Kassner and Lee Shirey, April 2000. (AARP's Public Policy Institute)*
- Stateline: Creating Assisted Living Facilities: Expanding Options for Long-Term Care (PDF), Laura Summer, February 2000. (National Governors' Association)
- A symposium, Retirement Implications of Demographic and Family Change . The Society of Actuaries.
- Will Baby Boomers Work More Years Than Their Parents Did? , Robert B. Friedland, August 2000. (Retirement Research Fund)*
- Welfare Reform and Elderly Legal Immigrants, Robert B. Friedland and Veena Pankaj, July 1997. (Kaiser Family Foundation)*
- Economic and Health Security: An Overview of the Origins of Federal Legislation , David V. Bryce and Robert B. Friedland, January 1997. (Employee Benefit Research Institute)*
Aging Society Issues
- Demography Is Not Destiny, Revisited, Robert B. Friedland and Laura Summer, March 2003. (The Commonwealth Fund)
- Measuring the Years: State Aging Trends & Indicators, Robert Friedland, Laura Summer, Katherine Mack, and Susan Mathieu, December 2004. (National Governors Association)
- State Strategies to Promote Independence Among Older Residents, Issue Brief, by Laura Summer and Katherine Mack, July 2004. (National Governors Association)
- Demography Is Not Destiny, Robert B. Friedland and Laura Summer, January 1999.*
- Life Expectancy in the Future: A Summary of a Discussion Among Experts (PDF), Robert B. Friedland, North American Actuarial Journal, October 1998.*
- Difficult Dialogues: A Stanford Forum on Gender and Ethnicity. (HTML) Robert B. Friedland (panelist), Stanford University, January 2000.
*These publications were done by Center on an Aging Society staff when they were at the National Academy on an Aging Society and are available through the Gerontological Society of America at 202-842-1275.